Thursday, February 23, 2012

Nice Muffins!

***SPOILER!!***


They're not baked!
English muffins.  When I was a kid they were just 'muffins' and those other things were small cakes.  Toasted muffins make a great breakfast or snack but good quality ones are not easily available from supermarkets.  When we lived in the UK, I often found supermarket muffins tasted 'chemically'.  The Family was very happy when our nearest supermarket here in France started stocking them; not so happy when they went moldy overnight.

Wary as I was of the challenge of producing the right texture, I decided to give muffin-making a go one wintery morning when I was awake far too early. I had always assumed that muffins were oven-baked, but I had a good surf around comparing recipes and techniques and this is the result.

Next time I plan to dust them in fine semolina before cooking to obtain the same crumb as the muffins I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment