Monday, February 27, 2012

Going Greek

We have a very dear friend who insists that he only likes 'meat and potatoes' meals (and only drinks red wine, but that's another story) so I usually cook a boeuf bourguignon or similar when he comes to dinner.  Nobody wants to serve up the same meals to the same guests time after time, though, so The Husband suggested Moussaka.  I love Greek food and figured 'how hard can it be?'.  My memories of Moussaka were that 'it's a bit like lasagna but with aubergine or potato instead of pasta'.  Kind of.

I poked around the ol' internet and compared recipes, working out my own version based on the variations I found.  Some people only use aubergine (eggplant) for the layers, some use potato or both.  I chose to do one layer just potato and one layer of both as I am not a huge fan of the texture of aubergine.  I don't know how 'authentic' my version could be called, but it was utterly delicious and, despite the fiddly aspect of frying and draining the vegetable layers etc I would be happy to make it regularly.

N.B.  I forgot to take a picture of the end result, but in my defence the wine had been flowing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment