Monday, September 17, 2012

Better Snap To It And Write A Damn Article

Once again my updating of the site has lapsed somewhat due to life getting in the way, but there will be more Pastries Of The Week and a whole lot more now that I have my new study to work in.  Unfortunately, I don't yet have my new 'puter to replace the failed MacBook Pro, so I am banging this out on a creaky old MacMini with a crappy old French keyboard (typos ahoy8).
Back to the food.
Not much experimentation to report at the moment, due to circumstances beyond my control, but I did dig out an old Mrs Beeton recipe for Ginger Snaps . The only potential issue with this recipe is that it includes 'golden syrup' which may be hard to come by outside the UK.  I have been hoarding some since a visitor brought some over last year. (Remind me to tell you about my Marmite tax on the guest room).  I followed Mrs Beeton's recipe as closely as I could, but used butter rather than lard and added levure chimique (baking powder) to type 45 flour (a basic, plain flour).
I also used a recipe The Daughter gave me for butter-free chocolate cake, which I am hoping she will write up on here herself, but then I, of course, layered in caramel spread and Nutella and then smothered the whole thing in caramel chocolate ganache.
Restraint: I have none.

No comments:

Post a Comment