Thursday, June 21, 2012

Time To Chop Your Cherry

Fruity desserts: they somehow make me feel less guilty than chocolatey ones.  Never mind how much butter and sugar might go into one - it's got fruit in so it must be quite good for you.  In the same way that cheesecake has lots of calcium. Practically a health food.
An article came through on one of my 'foody' feeds for a light, sweet peach pastry.  Didn't have any peaches in (and figured nectarine was possible the wrong texture) so I replaced the peach slices with chopped cherries.  It takes only a couple of minutes to prepare and is served cold, so can be made a few hours in advance (any more than that and the pastry would get soggy).  The result is a fruity, sweet-but-not-too-sweet dessert that is perfectly complimented by vanilla ice cream (calcium!).

I plan to try it next with pear (which I shall pre-cook) and brown sugar.  That's got to count as one of my 'five a day', surely?

No comments:

Post a Comment