Whilst our favourite boucher is on holiday, we tend to fall back on the cheap chickens from the Halal boucherie the other side of town. They are no Bresse chickens, but are decent enough quality considering they are 3 for 11€. They are fairly small, but cheap enough to cook a couple at a time so that everyone can have a breast or two. Who doesn't like breasts?
Having recently re-read 'Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistlestop Cafe' I was inspired to indulge in some homemade fried chicken. (If I wanted takeaway there is a KFC about 25km away, but that's pretty much it around here.) The method I use is simple and, in fact, originally based on the 'Sipsey's Southern Fried Chicken' recipe at the back of my copy of FGTATWC. The simplicity of the coating also means that leftovers keep well overnight for a cold lunch, though it's unlikely you'll find any untouched breasts.....
No comments:
Post a Comment