Friday, March 2, 2012

May cause your sausage to swell

How long before I run out of double-entendre titles related to sausages? (btw, 'double-entendre' is not a real French expression - French people look at you like you're an idiot if you use it.  True story.)

Anyway.  A simple, French classic dish graced our table this week: Saucisses aux lentilles. Technically, one should make it with saucisses de Morteau which has a lovely, smoked flavour, but this recipe also makes a very tasty dish (albeit slightly different) with the ordinary, coarse-ground pork sausages that I get from my favourite boucherie. The sausages become very plump and moist, hence the title. The celery, onions etc are a variation that we as a family prefer, evolved, as usual, from the many, many recipes I read.  (Food magazines in our house are known as 'bob's gastro-porn').

I like to chop all the veggie bits very, very finely so that they mix well with the lentils and imbue them with lots of flavour. Resist the temptation to salt the water as this will make the lentils hard and unappetising. It's a very filling meal, ideal for when you just want one course.

No comments:

Post a Comment