Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Total Pork Pies

'Pork Pie' is, as well as a delicious foodstuff, Cockney rhyming slang for 'lie'.  Today not only do I finally get around to publshing my recipe for pork pie for your gastronomic edification, but also correcting the porkies in the published version of my Balsamic Chicken (ok the inference of lies was a bit of a stretch, but I'm not sure if there is rhyming slang for 'omission' or 'error' and I wanted a pork pie pun anyway).

Traditional pork pies have a hot-water crust made with lard, but as I have mentioned before this is not something readily available here and it is BAD FOR YOU.  I have developed my own 'butter crust' pork pie which is, I believe, pretty much as close in taste and texture as one can get without lard. Good quality sausage meat means it's not the cheapest item on the menu, but it's delicious and always one of the star attractions of our buffet table amongst both French and English friends.

Tonight I'm doing pork chops, then tomorrow night we're going Irish and having Steak and Guinness Pie, followed by an old-fashioned steamed pudding (flavour tbc) and custard.  Recipes to follow next week.  After that I think it's high time we got a few more French winter dishes on here, so expect to see Tartiflette and Cassoulet soon, my legions of loyal readers.

A bientot, geezers.

No comments:

Post a Comment