Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Give It A Good Rub And See What Happens

Peking duck

So we had this duck in the freezer. Nothing fancy - €10 from Lidl, truth be told.  We had had roast duck a couple of weeks previously, so I decided to challenge myself and attempt one of my all time favourites: Crispy Peking Duck.  I ducking love it.

I poked around looking at recipes and, as I usually do, took aspects from a number of them to make my own. A lot of the recipes I saw called for plum sauce as an accompaniment, but for my tastes you cannot beat Hoi-Sin sauce with cucumber, onion and pancakes. I really didn't want to make the pancakes, but the Chinese/Asian market did not have any ready-made, so I found an excellent recipe here. It's important to prep the duck the day before, so that it really takes on the flavours, and cook it longer than you perhaps would for a plain roast so that it shreds nicely.

Sihk faahn!

(I hope the internet was right about that translation and I haven't unintentionally said something incredibly rude.  I like to say incredibly rude things intentionally.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment