I have never been overly-anxious to try a dish based on price, or reputation as a 'luxury dish' but, by my own admission, it has taken me a ridiculously long time to get around to lobster. I can only apologise to my younger self and promise to spend the rest of my life trying to make up for it.
Given my admitted lack of experience with such a pricey food, I exercised caution and purchased a small, frozen lobster at 7€. 'Pinchey' came pre-cooked, so I merely had to defrost, then plunge in boiling water for 5 minutes for it to be ready. I am not sure that I personally will ever be ready to purchase a live lobster and kill it myself, regardless of whether this improves the taste. Pinchey tasted frickin' amazing as it was.
I googled around for Thermidor recipes and found that they differed vastly. Not being one to keep such things as sherry in stock, I worked out a simple version using white wine, shallots, lemon juice, cream and Gruyère.
Love. At. First. Bite.
Savoury, delicious, layered flavour. Not too 'seafoody', not too rich and creamy. Nearly fell off my perch when I tasted it. Husband close to being jealous of Pinchey. Try it.
In other news, Lovely Oven was delivered today! All shiny and gorgeous, she is humming gently away in the background as she heats up for a trial run. How I smiled as the workmen installed her! How I smirked as Bastard Oven was loaded on to their van to be carted away! Although there's no excuse now for not getting off my arse and fine-tuning and editing all the recipes I'm supposed to be writing up and translating....
No comments:
Post a Comment