I have been making apple crumble since I was a kid and can't remember the last time I actually measured the ingredients. For the general edification of The Internet I thought I would take the time to work out a recipe that was clear to others, rather than "keep adding flour until it feels right..." etc. As it's such an old-fashioned classic, I thought I'd turn to my trusty Mrs Beeton (1961) for a standard recipe and go from there.
Evidently old Missus B likes her puddings SWEET! 110g brown sugar plus 85g castor sugar, mixed with 90g butter and only 180g of flour, even when toned down with my personal addition of 2 handfuls of oats was far too sweet, even for The Daughter. Back to the drawing board.
Tomorrow: I shall be purchasing a sample for the long-awaited return of......PASTRY OF THE WEEK!
Isn't it exciting?
bob
No comments:
Post a Comment